What is the two ticks scheme?
The two ticks scheme is a recognition given by Jobcentre Plus to employers based in Great Britain who have agreed to take action to meet five commitments regarding the employment, retention, training and career development of disabled employees. It is represented by the two ticks disability symbol (displayed right) that participating organisations are authorised to display.
What commitments do employers make?
Employers who use the symbol have agreed with Jobcentre Plus that they will take action on these five commitments:
- to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and consider them on their abilities
- to ensure there is a mechanism in place to discuss, at any time, but at least once a year, with disabled employees what can be done to make sure they can develop and use their abilities
- to make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment
- to take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work
- each year to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, plan ways to improve on them and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know about progress and future plans.
What vacancies does the Disability Symbol apply to?
All vacancies based in Great Britain (GB) where the employer has been awarded the Disability Symbol. It is only applicable to vacancies where the posts will be located in England, Scotland or Wales. Employers that use the Symbol, but are advertising vacancies based outside of GB are not obliged to use the Disability Symbol criteria during recruitment.
How does the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) affect disability symbol using employers?
Symbol using employers are covered by the DDA in the same way as other employers. The action that they take as a symbol user is in addition to a any obligations placed on them by the Act, and in no way affects your rights as a disabled person under this Act. Click the following link if you would like more information about the DDA, or contact:
Disability Rights Commission Helpline
Telephone 08457 622 633
Textphone 08457 622 644
Faxback 08457 778 878
Where can I get a list of employers who are Symbol users?
A list of national and local symbol users is available from your Disability Employment Adviser (DEA). You can contact the DEA through your local Jobcentre or Jobcentre Plus office.