Further education for disabled people

There are a number of factors to take into account if you are considering further study.

Some disabled people may find that their support needs cannot be met at a local college or learning provider. If this is the case, there are specialist colleges which have extensive experience of teaching both learners with particular disabilities or those with a range of disabilities. This support is mainly for young people up to the age of 25, but there are some opportunities for adults to attend specialist colleges.

Specialist institutions are located around the country and recruit nationally, so students may have to travel to get there. They are often residential and can help people learn to live away from home. They offer a range of education options.

Information on specialist residential colleges is given in the COPE Directory: Compendium of post-16 education and training in residential establishments for young people with special needs.

You can also contact the Association of National Specialist Colleges (NATSPEC) for detailed information about their colleges.

Some residential training for adults is available through Jobcentre Plus. This offers an opportunity for unemployed disabled adults to gain qualifications, work experience and specialist support from appropriately trained professionals. There are many different courses available in 14 colleges around the country. To access the courses, people need to contact their disability employment advisor at their local Jobcentre Plus.

Useful Resources

Our Partners


The Royal British Legion

The CivvyStreet Partnership website is funded by The Royal British Legion who are the Lead Partner Organisation.

The Prince's Trust

The Prince's Trust

CivvyStreet is working with The Prince's Trust, a youth charity that helps change young lives.



Remploy is one of the UK's leading providers of employment to people experiencing barriers to work.