The Royal British Legion


Learning with a Disability

Disabled students have the same rights to study as everyone else and further education (FE) and universities must make provisions for them. All colleges have a learning support advisor, or someone who has responsibility for students with disabilities. They can give advice and information on the types of courses available. They should also tell you about the support available, for example, equipment to help you study and how accessible the college is.

Support available to disabled students includes support from the Government, your college or university and your local authority. If you are thinking about FE or higher education, you should consider carefully:

  • where to study
  • the support you may need while studying
  • support with day to day living
  • money and funding.

If you are applying for higher education, check out the section on disability on the UCAS website. You can also contact SKILL for advice on studying as a disabled student.

The Royal British Legion - Live On

 0800 009 8015

PO Box 375
SG12 4FH

Employers and Service Providers: 0845 680 0838