The Royal British Legion


Further education for disabled people

Some disabled people may find that their support needs cannot be met at a local college or learning provider. If this is the case, there are specialist colleges which have extensive experience of teaching both learners with particular disabilities or those with a range of disabilities. This support is mainly for young people up to the age of 25, but there are some opportunities for adults to attend specialist colleges.

Specialist institutions are located around the country and recruit nationally, so students may have to travel to get there. They are often residential and can help people learn to live away from home. They offer a range of education options.

Information on specialist residential colleges is given in the COPE Directory: Compendium of post-16 education and training in residential establishments for young people with special needs.

You can also contact the Association of National Specialist Colleges (NATSPEC) for detailed information about their colleges.

Some residential training for adults is available through Jobcentre Plus. This offers an opportunity for unemployed disabled adults to gain qualifications, work experience and specialist support from appropriately trained professionals. There are many different courses available in 14 colleges around the country. To access the courses, people need to contact their disability employment advisor at their local Jobcentre Plus.

The Royal British Legion - Live On

 0800 009 8015

PO Box 375
SG12 4FH

Employers and Service Providers: 0845 680 0838