The Royal British Legion


Training as a teacher

You will have gained many technical and life skills during your time in the Armed Forces and you may well have been involved in training others. Teaching in CivvyStreet could be the ideal way to apply your skills and experience.


Anyone wanting to teach in England must complete initial teacher training (ITT). There are many different types of ITT – the route you choose to take will be specific to the age group and/or subject you’d like to teach.

If you’d like to teach a subject to an advanced level, for example, you could be more interested in secondary teaching, rather than primary.

You can complete your ITT alongside a degree, straight after a degree, as a part-time course alongside work, or as a full-time course, including employment-based routes. The option that is right for you will depend on your circumstances.

Ways into Teaching

There are different ways of getting into teaching. You can train to be a teacher while completing a degree in the subject/s you wish to teach. Or if you already have a degree, you can train to be a teacher in one to two years. Whichever route you take, you will combine theoretical learning about teaching with at least 18 weeks practical teaching experience in schools.

All candidates for teacher training need to have at least a grade C in English and maths GCSE, or can show that they have reached an equivalent standard. Candidates for primary teaching also need a grade C or equivalent in science.

You will need a degree to become a qualified teacher.

If you want to teach at secondary level, your degree should be relevant to the subject you want to teach. Initial teacher training (ITT) providers make the final decision on relevant subject knowledge. If your provider feels that you have the right qualities to become a teacher, but you need to top up your subject knowledge before you start training, they will talk you through the range of subject knowledge enhamcement (SKE) courses that are available.

You can do your ITT whilst being one of the following :
a) employed at a school
b) through a higher education institution such as a university or college.
c) Through a school. School-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) is a programme for graduates, run by and based in schools. All SCITT courses lead to qualified teacher status (QTS) and many, but not all, award the postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE).

The Teaching Agency site provides more details on these options.

Troops to Teachers

There is a special scheme from the Department for Education for ex-Armed Forces personnel training as teachers, called Troops to Teachers.

There are many benefits to signing up with the Troops to Teachers scheme. You will receive:

  • - A helpful step-by-step guide to becoming a teacher
  • - Email updates with important news on teacher training, funding and events in your area
  • - The option to telephone our team of teaching experts for advice
  • - Information on how you can interact with the scheme and get your questions answered via Facebook and Twitter

If you hold or are predicted at least a 2:1 degree, are interested in teaching primary or maths, physics, chemistry, modern foreign languages (MFL), history, English, geography, biology or computer science, and intend to start teacher training in the academic year 2013/14, you’ll receive additional support from the scheme to guide you through the process of becoming a teacher.

You should follow the Troops to Teachers lnk opposite for more details.

Funding for Teacher Training

A range of incentives and financial support are available both during and after your training.

You may be eligible for a grant of up to £2,700 from your local education authority (LEA) and training bursaries of up to £9,000 per year may also be available. Financial assistance for training may also be available from the Royal British Legion. See the link to their website on this page.

All financial support is subject to conditions and although you are not guaranteed funding, you may be eligible for financial support for:

1) Undergraduate Teacher Training - this includes the BEd, BA with qualified teacher status (QTS) and BSc with QTS

2) Postgraduate Teacher Trainingthis includes the postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) and school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT)

3) Employment based initial teacher training - this includes the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) and the Overseas Trained Teacher Programme (OTTP)

If you are planning to take out a loan to help finance your training, you can calculate an estimate of your loan repayments by visiting the Directgov website and selecting 'Teacher' from the list of careers.

Further Information

The Teaching Agency is responsible for initial teacher training (ITT) in England. It provides a comprehensive programme of support to help you become a teacher, providing guidance all the way through the application process. Through ITT you’ll receive rigorous training, with new teachers rating their training as a very good preparation for the classroom. In this section you will find out what it is like to be a teacher, and learn about the routes available if you want to begin a career in teaching.

The Royal British Legion - Live On

 0800 009 8015

PO Box 375
SG12 4FH

Employers and Service Providers: 0845 680 0838