Chef (Full Time) - 45012
Job Category: Catering - Hospitality
Salary Range: £15k - £20k
Location: South East (Southampton)
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: £16,968.00 per Annum
Location: Southampton University Hospital, (SO16 6YD)
Hours: 37.5 Hours per week
Serco Group plc is an international services company delivering essential services for the public sector. Our highly successful Health business works in partnership with the NHS in the UK to deliver joined-up healthcare solutions including Integrated Facilities Management.
An opportunity has arisen at Southampton University Hospital, for a Chef. The successful applicant will be required to work 37.5 hours per week, 5 days out of 7, on shifts, between the hours of 6:30am – 20:00pm. To prepare and cook food to agreed schedules of work for staff, Visitors Patients and members of the public both in terms of quality, Safety and value for money. Ensure that a safe, suitable and satisfactory level of service is a maintained within the Retail Catering Department.
Duties and responsibilities:
* To produce dishes in line with agreed menus for retail, patient and function operations to the required standards
* To provide a friendly, efficient and courteous service to both internal and external customers demonstrating high standards of customer service and optimising retail sales at all times
* To maintain food safety, cleanliness and hygiene standards within the department and ensure that all work is carried out in line with Health and Safety, Quality and Serco and Trust policies and procedures, including the Assured Safe Catering System and that all documentation and work records are completed accurately and in time.
* To monitor and maintain food presentation to the required standard within the retail operation.
* Participate as a full member of the team, e.g. supporting and training other staff, participating in team meetings, working flexibly as required to cover other members of the team.
* To comment on and where possible contribute to menu planning and service development within the catering department
* Store goods correctly and use stock on a rotational basis to optimise sales and minimise food wastage
* To maintain portion control and assist in stock ordering and ensure all operational practices are undertaken to budgetary constraints
* To correctly use and take care of all equipment and materials associated with tasks and immediately report any faults to a supervisor.
* Undertake other ad hoc duties as prescribed by manager and within scope of skill and capability
* Basic Food Hygiene Certificate is essential
* Good Communication Skills including ability to instruct other staff
* Good Customer Care Skills
* Able to work under pressure
* Ability to be flexible and adaptable
* NVQ Level 1or 2 in Food production or equivalent is essential
* 28 days holiday per year (Including bank holidays)
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.
How to apply for this job