Surface Finish Technician 1 | RAF Benson - 42743
Job Category: Engineering
Salary Range: £20k - £25k
Location: South East (Wallingford)
Job Type: Permanent
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, justice and immigration, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
RAF Benson is a front line support helicopter base working within the Joint Helicopter Command. Located in South Oxfordshire, we have many facilities for Service Personnel and dependants alike. Committed to operations and supporting operations throughout the world since the Station opened in 1939, RAF Benson is currently home to two thirds of the RAF`s support helicopter force. Whilst geographically a small Station compared to many others, RAF Benson continues to be one of the busiest Stations in the RAF, with personnel deploying regularly in support of current operations.
We are currently seeking a Surface Finish Technician 1 to join the team at RAF Benson, who will be accountable to the Site Manager for painting and finishing activities. This role will require working early and late shifts.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
* Supervise a range of technical work, including strip down, repair and refurbishment, routine, planned and spray rectification and sign work for military plant and equipment, assemblies, sub-assemblies and components.
* The Management and supervision of personnel employed within the Surface Finish Facility, including the QA checks and stage checks for all production tasks undertaken.
* Processing work according to schedule set by Site Manager and/or Senior Surface Finish Technician. Ensuring surface finish tasks are completed in accordance with the quality policy, procedures and standards required.
* Carrying out and compiling aircraft pre-input surveys as directed. Generation, issuing and closure of Works Orders where authorized. Perform independent Quality Control inspections within the scope of their authorization. Coordinating tasking and archiving aircraft and component documentation, monitoring all task registers.
* Manual (Abrading), Chemical and Media paint removal methods on Aircraft and Aircraft components prior to repainting. Applying a high standard of paint finish using various paint schemes utilising modern Paint Application Equipment.
* Ensuring all calibrated items are within their allocated calibration period. Adequate equipment, tools, spares and materials are held on inventory and are available to perform the tasks. These items are to be controlled and held in suitable storage, in accordance with the appropriate Engineering and Supply regulations.
Key skills, experience and qualifications:
* Previous aircraft re-finishing experience
* Supervisory experience – highly desirable
* Relevant trade qualifications – NVQ or equivalent in re-finishing
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.
How to apply for this job