Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, justice and immigration, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Sitting within a beautiful and secure site, the Defence Academy hosts 2 lakes and is surrounded by acres of scenic woodland. The Academy trains the future commanders and staff officers of all three UK Armed Services and those from many countries around the world.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical & Electrical biased Project Supervisor to join our Estates Department at the DA. Reporting to the Project Manager, the successful individual shall represent Serco, in supervising, monitoring and recording the delivery of all allocated capital and small works projects ranging from refurbishment to new build as well as infrastructure upgrade and demolition to ensure adherence to specification, standards and quality within a safety conscious and multi-stakeholder environment, whilst having due regard for their buildability, safety, quality and cost of the operations undertaken. The workload demand shall see the individual taking an active role in delivering a programme of fire strategy projects, including upgrades to fire alarms, emergency lights and buildings’ compartmentalisation across the estate.
The salary banding for this role is £35,000 - £40,000, dependent on experience.
Main Responsibilities include
* Manage and coordinate the delivery of a full range of construction projects as directed by the Project Manager, including taking full ownership of projects and supporting colleagues on others where required.
* Ensure the allocated project(s) is completed to programme, within agreed cost parameters, to a high standard and to the satisfaction of the customer, having a focus on H&S and MOD environmental policies.
* Control the projects from feasibility through to post-occupancy following the RIBA Plan of Works 2013, and in conjunction with Serco’s relevant processes and procedures covering construction activity.
* Undertake regular supervision and recording of works projects and documentation to include quality checks of workmanship, site conditions, resource levels, specification & design compliance of all works undertaken directly by contractors.
* Help to resolve technical issues and design queries as they arise whilst meeting Serco’s requirements for buildability and maintenance requirements.
* Ensure risk assessments and method statements relating to all contractor work activities under your control are produced and recorded in advance for all contractor works starting on site. Giving feedback to contractors to make any necessary adjustments.
* Provide support where issues arise and ensure all contractors work within the bounds of their competency and capability.
* Liaise with colleagues within other areas of the department and ensure that hand-over arrangements are effective including familiarisation, user operation & maintenance training.
To subject all areas of responsibility to continuous review with the objective of identifying and implementing improvement and cost saving measures.
Essential Skills and Experience
* Demonstrable experience in similar roles, including construction project management / supervision / inspection with a broad, in depth, practical experience of building services gained in either a consultant or contractor capacity.
* HNC/NVQ, or equivalent, in a construction related discipline (includes, but is not limited to, building surveying, construction, mechanical or electrical engineering).
* Excellent knowledge and application of H&S, Fire and Environmental matters, with particular relevance to those impacting the construction industry essential.
* Experience and knowledge of fire regulations and relevant fire standards essential.
* Construction H&S qualifications required e.g. SMSTS, CSCS, Asbestos Awareness, etc.
* Up-to-date knowledge of Building Regulations and the roles, duties and requirements of CDM Regulations.
* Previous MOD experience with an ability to demonstrate clear understanding of relevant MOD JSPs highly desirable.
* Membership (or working towards) of relevant professional institution (CIBSE, ICWCI etc.) preferred.
* Computer literate, including experience working in MS Office, NBS software, Autodesk products and proprietary asset management software.
* Proven ability to effectively communicate at all levels, both orally and in writing.
* Excellent interpersonal and people management skills.
* Excellent organisational and time management skills.
Information and Benefits
Serco offers 25 days holiday, up to 6% contributory stakeholder pension and life insurance. We provide a free uniform and plenty of free on site parking. There are regular buses from Swindon and Faringdon taking approx. 20 mins and dropping off directly at the Defence Academy, with discount card available.
We offer a full induction programme for all staff and everyone has access to a variety of online training courses. We also offer a range of NVQs and apprenticeships.
On site we have several subsidised cafes, providing hot and cold food and we provide free tea and coffee to all staff. We also have access to a multi faith prayer room, 2 cashpoints, disabled facilities throughout the whole site and a local nursery and pre-school facility.
In addition there are free gym facilities with access to a variety of fitness classes, football pitches, squash and tennis courts. For a small charge you can also join the Athletic Union which runs a variety of sports clubs from abseiling to netball, martial arts, sailing, football and beyond. In addition the Defence Academy also has a heated outdoor swimming pool, stables and 18 hole golf course.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.