Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, justice and immigration, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary
Serco delivers vital healthcare support services around the world – from the operational management of hospitals to the optimisation of patient experience and flow. Our experience reaches across acute, community, primary and private healthcare, increasingly with voluntary and social care partners
Serco is due to manage the building plant and facilities at the new Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary under a 25-year contract with NHS Dumfries & Galloway. The vital services Serco will deliver include maintaining the hospital’s plumbing, heating, lighting, electrics, and fire safety systems, ensuring a safe and comfortable environment and supporting the wellbeing of the hospital’s patients, visitors and staff.
We are currently looking to recruit a Joiner reporting into the Site Engineer. You will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of the hospital facility. This will include the building fabric and you will carry out minor new works as required. The ideal candidate will carry out the duties of the maintenance assistant when required and support other team members as required by the management team. You will embrace and promote the role of the department which is to provide a safe working environment to enable the delivery of effective patient care.
* To work unsupervised and ensure work is carried out safety and in line with the infection control requirements within all departments /
* To support FM Staff in respect of the service we provide
* To work without direct supervision as an individual or as part of a team
* To work out of normal hours and participate in shifts/on call working as required.
* To carry out general maintenance assistant duties or any other duties within their capability and training.
* Upon receipt of an instruction to carry out work, the post holder must be able to plan and provide schedules of material/equipment required. Good workmanship combined with the correct use of proper materials is a basic requirement of the post.
* To be able to carry out planned maintenance and repairs with the minimum of supervision and ensure that all such work is carried out so as not to give rise to danger, so far as is reasonably practicable, and in accordance with policies and procedures.
* To have an understanding of the work of other trades and with suitable training be able to perform a wide range of work of other crafts.
* To be able to work with all tools and equipment efficiently and effectively.
* The post holder shall work within the confines of all legislation including The Health and Safety at Work Act and shall set an example to others in this respect.
* The post holder shall be able to plan, manufacture, assemble, install and commission installations/ alterations under the general guidance of the supervisor.
* A willingness to undertake specialist training including residential courses when appropriate is required.
* The post holder is part of a team giving a service to others. The post holder must be aware of the customer’s needs and do their utmost to satisfy the customer.
* Assist in the on-going need to conserve energy and report any case of energy wastage or potential improvement.
* Undertake other reasonable duties required by the management team and within specialism.
* There will be a requirement for the individual to complete and submit paperwork
* Being contactable on mobile or via hand held communication device is essential
* Use handheld electronic technology to provide feedback of information required by the Computer Aided Facilities Management system (CAFM) to assist the FM department in carrying out its duties.
The post holder will be responsible for all appropriate health, safety and welfare matters affecting staff in or attached to their area of work responsibility. This will include safe systems of work, training and safety inspections.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
* The completion of either a recognised and registered EITB or CITB apprenticeship or other approved training scheme.
* Completion of an appropriate City and Guilds/ NVQ to Level 3 or suitable equivalent.
* Relevant post apprenticeship experience where the individual has demonstrated high versatility and flexibility.
* The post holder must be willing to undertake any additional training that may be required.
* The post holder will be required to form part of the on call rota
* There will be a need to live no further than one hours travelling time from the hospital.
* The post holder must be able to work effectively with the minimum supervision.
* They will also be required to be responsive to our customer’s needs and demonstrate an ability to promote and represent Serco in a professional manner.
* The ability to work under pressure to achieve objectives, which may be time limited, is essential.
* Experience of working within a hospital environment previous will be advantageous however not essential.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.