Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, home affairs, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Sitting within a beautiful and secure site, the Defence Academy hosts 2 lakes and is surrounded by acres of scenic woodland. The Academy trains the future commanders and staff officers of all three UK Armed Services and those from many countries around the world.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor, who will report directly to the Head of Operations (Estates), with specific responsibility for the delivery of the day to day estates operations. This will include the delivery of PPM and Reactive tasks to the estate, split between PFI, PPP and Service Family Accommodation. This role will entail leading by example and holding full direct line management responsibilities and duties for up to 8 Serco employees, offering relevant expert advice, and mentoring, whilst promoting the theme of continuous improvement in the workplace.
The salary banding for this role is £30,000 - £35,000, dependent on experience.
Main Responsibilities include:
* Identify and measure performance output criteria for all relevant aspects of service delivery involving the control of contractors to develop and implement meaningful KPIs
* Job planning to ensure maximum efficiency
* Full line management duties and responsibilities, including all HR-related requirements, absence management, performance reviews, mentoring and training as required
* Effectively oversee the coordination and programming of the works to meet Serco and stakeholder requirements, maximising resources and financial performance
* Provide detailed reports periodically to summarise key progress and activity to Serco and its customers
* Work productively with other Serco personnel, ensuring that their productivity and attitude is not adversely affected by your actions and/or behaviour
* Ensure all confidential information remains within the company and is not relayed in either verbal or written form to persons or organisations outside the company.
* Adhere to all company protocols and procedures
* To subject all areas of responsibility to continuous review with the objective of identifying and implementing improvement and cost saving measures
Essential Skills and Experience include:
* Significant demonstrable experience in a similar role at supervisor or line manager, managing small teams (of up to 5 – 8 members of staff).
* A relevant formal qualification in plumbing and heating is essential (and electrical engineering – desirable).
* Gas Safe qualified with commercial gas experience
* OFTEC qualification/experience is desirable and legionella awareness training would be preferable
* Experience of vented and unvented HWS and overseeing sub-contractors
* Knowledge of the Water Supply(Water fittings) Regulations 1999
* Qualified Appointed Person mechanical desirable
* IOSH Managing Safely and/or IPAF/PASMA preferable
* Line management experience with a high level of motivation, energy, drive and enthusiasm
* Membership of relevant professional institution (e.g. CIBSE, IET) – desirable
* Excellent knowledge and application of H&S and Environmental matters, with particular relevance to those impacting the construction industry essential
* Detailed understanding of relevant regulations, legislation and standards
* Excellent planning and organisational ability with an analytical, financial and numerate approach to problems
* Highly literate and experienced with IT, demonstrating ability in MS Office - including Email, Outlook, Word and Excel
* Proven ability to effectively communicate at all levels of management and project teams (oral and written)
* High level of interpersonal and people management skills and attributes
* Previous MOD experience with an ability to demonstrate clear understanding of relevant MOD JSPs highly desirable
Information and Benefits
Serco offers 25 days holiday, up to 6% contributory stakeholder pension and life insurance. We provide a free uniform and plenty of free on site parking. There are regular buses from Swindon and Faringdon taking approx. 20 mins and dropping off directly at the Defence Academy, with discount card available.
We offer a full induction programme for all staff and everyone has access to a variety of online training courses. We also offer a range of NVQs and apprenticeships.
On site we have several subsidised cafes, providing hot and cold food and we provide free tea and coffee to all staff. We also have access to a multi faith prayer room, 2 cashpoints, disabled facilities throughout the whole site and a local nursery and pre-school facility.
In addition there are free gym facilities with access to a variety of fitness classes, football pitches, squash and tennis courts. For a small charge you can also join the Athletic Union which runs a variety of sports clubs from abseiling to netball, martial arts, sailing, football and beyond. In addition the Defence Academy also has a heated outdoor swimming pool, stables and 18 hole golf course.
All Serco employees must ensure that their current line manager is aware of their application. For confidential enquiries please contact MyHR on 0345 010 4000.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward.
Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.