Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, justice and immigration, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Within our current portfolio of Serco Defence contracts is the Defence Academy of the UK (DA). This prestigious establishment is responsible for post-graduate education and the majority of command, staff, leadership, Defence management, acquisition and technology training for members of the UK Armed Forces and MOD Civil Servants. It is also responsible for the provision of non-technical research and assessment in support of the Department, and for establishing and maintaining itself as the MOD`s primary link with UK universities and with international military educational institutions.
We are currently seeking a Building Surveyor to join our Estates Department at the DA. Reporting to the Building Services Engineer, the successful individual will join a busy team of in-house development professionals that perform a variety of asset management functions and support the delivery of capital works programmes. The role shall require the successful individual to use and build on their experience, technical and commercial skills to ensure the highest standards for all surveying, designing and related capital programme requirements are successfully delivered.
The salary banding for this role is £30,000 - £40,000, dependent on experience.
* Undertake a full range of Building Surveying duties, with particular emphasis on pre-development surveying, planning and design.
* Provide expert advice, surveys and reports on building condition, dilapidation, and asset replacement programmes to meet annual schedules, capital works and operational demands.
* Work closely with Quantity Surveyors, Project Managers and external consultants to develop Employer`s Requirements documents, designs and specifications, filling the role of Principal Designer / Designer as required.
* Develop a range of standard specifications for inclusion on capital works which meet through life requirements and experiences.
* Seek continual improvement of Serco`s building surveying and associated processes, through regular review and challenge in line with applicable regulations and industry best practice.
* Regularly assess and address the quality of the consultant teams appointed in order to meet the demanding standards expected of ourselves and others.
* To subject all areas of responsibility to continuous review with the objective of identifying and implementing improvement and cost saving measures.
* Significant demonstrable experience in building surveying covering a broad, in depth, practical and managerial surveying role and responsibilities in a similar environment.
* Excellent demonstrable understanding of building techniques and detailing, covering a varied spectrum of periods and uses.
* Degree level qualification, or equivalent, in building surveying.
* Membership of RICS and / or CIOB preferred.
* Ability to understand, communicate and implement technical solutions to building problems.
* Excellent demonstrable understanding of CDM Regulations and the roles within.
* MOD and / or other public sector experience highly desirable.
* Commercially astute, with a working knowledge of the JCT and NEC suites of contract.
* Confidence to challenge convention, supported by ability and desire to improve practices.
* Computer literate, including experience working in MS Office, NBS software and Autodesk products. Experience of proprietary asset management software desirable.
* Proven ability to effectively communicate at all levels, both orally and in writing.
* Excellent organisational and time management skills.
Information and Benefits
Serco offers 25 days holiday, up to 6% contributory stakeholder pension and life insurance. We provide a free uniform and plenty of free on site parking. There are regular buses from Swindon and Faringdon taking approx. 20 mins and dropping off directly at the Defence Academy, with discount card available.
We offer a full induction programme for all staff and everyone has access to a variety of online training courses. We also offer a range of NVQs and apprenticeships.
On site we have several subsidised cafes, providing hot and cold food and we provide free tea and coffee to all staff. We also have access to a multi faith prayer room, 2 cashpoints, disabled facilities throughout the whole site and a local nursery and pre-school facility.
In addition there are free gym facilities with access to a variety of fitness classes, football pitches, squash and tennis courts. You can also join the Athletic Union which runs a variety of sports clubs from abseiling to netball, martial arts, sailing, football and beyond. In addition the Defence Academy also has a heated outdoor swimming pool, stables and 18 hole golf course.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.