The Royal British Legion


Disability and Income Support

War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation

If you have a disability that occurred while you were serving with the Armed Forces, you will probably be entitled to compensation. The Service Personnel and Veterans Agency administers the War Pensions Scheme for ex-Services personnel whose injuries, wounds or illnesses occurred prior to 5 April 2005, and the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme covers those whose injuries, wounds or illnesses occurred after 5 April 2005. These schemes also cover war widows and widowers and their children. See the link on this page to the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency website.

Armed Services charities

Financial assistance and grants for disabled ex-Services personnel are also provided by charities associated with each of the service branches. There are links on this page to the Army Benevolent Fund, the RAF Benevolent Fund and the Royal Navy Benevolent Trust.

Disability and Carers Service

The Disability and Carers Service is part of the Pension, Disability and Carers Service (PDCS), an executive agency of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

With offices across the country, the service provides financial support such as:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Vaccine Damage Payments.

There are related links to websites for these allowances

The Royal British Legion - Live On

 0800 009 8015

PO Box 375
SG12 4FH

Employers and Service Providers: 0845 680 0838