The Royal British Legion


Disability and Access to Learning

Most further and higher education colleges are able to meet the needs of disabled students. All colleges have a Learning Support Advisor, or someone who has responsibility for students with disabilities. They can give advice and information on the types of courses available. They should also tell you about the support available. For example, equipment to help you study and how accessible to disabled people the college is.

As a student with a disability, there are several things you may need to consider particularly carefully when thinking about higher education, including:

  • where to study
  • the support you may need while studying
  • support with day-to-day living
  • money and funding.

Support provided by colleges and universities could include:

  • accommodation adapted for the needs of disabled students
  • professional care staff
  • assistance from volunteers.
The Royal British Legion - Live On

 0800 009 8015

PO Box 375
SG12 4FH

Employers and Service Providers: 0845 680 0838